gnu-c++-standards

Re: C++ code indentation for GNU

From: James Youngman
Subject: Re: C++ code indentation for GNU
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 13:21:05 +0100

Having introduced the topic of code layout by the way, I should state
that in my personal experience there is much more benefit in setting
and using common standards for the software engineering aspects
themselves, rather than just the code layout.   However, such
standards are also, I think, much harder to get consensus on even on a
single project.  Doing this across many projects in GNU and many use
cases would be much harder (since for example real-time embedded use
cases motivate different practices to, for example, Internet servers).

So, while I think that kind of software engineering standard is
valuable, it's a harder challenge which I'd prefer to separate from
the more basic considerations of code layout.

James.