Re: [Gnu-arch-users] task list

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] task list
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 11:54:58 -0500

> For example, commands that set/query a default value or a setting
> start with "my-".

The only two settings that I occasionally need to get/set are:

    tla archives
    tla my-revision-library

where the first is accessed with `tla archives' but set with `tla
register-archive'.  So from my standpoint, the consistency is pretty poor.
(if tla could automatically setup the revlib, I wouldn't need `tla
my-revision-library' nearly so often: my revlib is on a local scratch
partition and gets wiped every once in a while :-( ).

> It makes things easier for humans to remember, which is the goal in
> the end.  I prefer that the shell autocompletion rules writer has to do
> _once_ a list of:

While I did write my own completion rules, it's not what bothers me, really.
What bothers me is completion *as a user*.  Here is my typical gripe:

     my revlib just got wiped.  I remember I have to recreate it but can't
     remember how that done or even where it is.  Intuitively, I do
     something like `tla lib[TAB]' to get the list of revlib-related
     commands (which I find much quicker than `tla help') and fail to find
     `my-revision-library'.

-- Stefan