[Gnu-arch-users] issues merging changes from an external branch

From: Joan Picanyol
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] issues merging changes from an external branch
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 19:54:16 +0200

Hi,

Short version:

I'm having issues trying to merge the changes done on another branch to
the original one. I'm following the directions on the tutorial, in
particular the section "Promoting an Elementary Branch to a Development
Branch". When commiting, I get: "commit: tree has no patch log entries
for version" song, after tla add-log-version I still get the same.

Long version:

After a period on the road, the current situation is as follows (the original
work was done on biaix.org, following work has been done in pingu):

address@hidden
    /home/pk{arch}
address@hidden
    /usr/pica/.{archives}/address@hidden/

188,p5,0$ tla categories
bbdd-iaeste
projecte
189,p5,0$ tla categories -A address@hidden
simulacions
190,p5,0$

202,p5,0$ tla abrowse address@hidden/projecte
address@hidden
  projecte
    projecte--simulacions-previes
      projecte--simulacions-previes--0.1
        base-0 .. versionfix-1

203,p5,0$ tla abrowse address@hidden
address@hidden
  simulacions
    simulacions--main
      simulacions--main--0.2
        base-0 .. patch-7

I'd like to merge the work done on address@hidden/simulacions onto
address@hidden/projecte, there should be no conflicts whatsoever. Due
to issues while starting to use arch (I was using pre-1.2.1 with NFS archive
and working directories), I ended up with -version-0 and -versionfix-1
revisions, I don't know wether this is relevant or not (what are they anyway?)

Now, after doing

tla get -A address@hidden simulacions--main--0.2 wd && cd wd

I try to follow the directions in "Promoting an Elementary..."

211,p5,0$ tla set-tree-version -A address@hidden
projecte--simulacions-previes--0.1
212,p5,0$ i=`tla make-log `; tla log-for-merge >> $i
213,p5,0$ tla commit
commit: tree has no patch log for version
    tree: /tmp/now/wd
    version: address@hidden/projecte--simulacions-previes--0.1
214,p5,1$

After some mailing list searching, I try to add-log-version:

225,p5,1$ tla add-log-version projecte--simulacions-previes--0.1
226,p5,0$ tla commit
commit: tree has no patch log entries for version
    tree: /tmp/now/wd
    version: address@hidden/projecte--simulacions-previes--0.1

The only difference is that this message is missing a newline at the
end. I've tried several combinations for set-tree-version and add

What am I doing wrong? What should I do to get my changes back in?

How can I accomplish the equivalent of "moving a category between archives"?

tks
--
pica