[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: tag --seal - where does version-0 go?

From: Matthew Palmer
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: tag --seal - where does version-0 go?
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 18:13:33 +1000

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 02:16:51AM +0200, David Allouche wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 15:40 +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > I think (and this is kinda confirmed by what I've just been told on IRC) it
> > helps to think of tag --seal and --fix are a sort of "commit into other
> > tree" type thing.  You can do a tla commit --seal on your local tree, and
> > it'll seal the branch underlying that tree, or you can tla tag --seal src
> > dest to seal the dest branch.  But you can't seal a branch that doesn't
> > exist -- hence the problem of getting a base-0 when you asked for --seal on
> > a new branch.
>
> I found this thread very confused, and I am not sure what you are
> talking about. However, it seems that you should have read this page:
>
> http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/Sealing_20and_20fixing

Nope.  Read that, no help whatsoever.  My confusion wasn't helped by what I
believe to be a bug in tla (tag --seal onto a new branch produces an
unsealed base-0 instead of a version-0 or an error) and forgetting some
basic Arch goodness (that you can tag into a branch lots of times).

> > Good sigmonster.  Maybe Arch is just mathematics.
>
> BTW, what is a sigmonster?

It's the beast that lives in the back of your computer, near the network
card, and adds random whitterings to the ends of outgoing e-mails.
Sometimes it picks a particularly appropriate random whittering, and when
that happens, it's good practice to tell it it's a good sigmonster, and
maybe give it a cookie.

- Matt

--
"Need? What does -need- have to do with it? I'm talking about pure,
unadulterated lust here."