Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Naturally "inconsistent" naming convention

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Naturally "inconsistent" naming convention
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 23:05:43 +0200

On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 16:49:45 -0400, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Arch is based on the idea that you have to have a consistent naming
> convention, which you should describe in =tagging-method.
>
> But what about those cases where some classes of files are source while
> others are auto-generated.  A typical example being C files generated by
> lex&yacc.
>
> Are we supposed to tell lex&yacc to generate file names like +lexer.c
> (which won't work in languages like OCaml or Java where where file names
> have to be the same as module names)?  Or are we supposed to list of those
> exception in arch-inventory?

Is it an option to generate them into a subdirectory? Something along
the lines perl modules are built -- a directory is created, files that
don't need processing are copied there and files that do are processed
and results placed there. This tree is then in the right shape for
installation. If you mark the base directory as 'backup' or 'precious',
tla won't give a damn about it's contents.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>