Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Inexact patching and directory renames

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Inexact patching and directory renames
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:16:29 +0200

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 12:09 -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> David Allouche wrote:
> > Together with mandating explicit ID for the tree-root (which could be
> > created by init-tree) that seems a perfectly sane change.
>
> It's possible even without adding a tree-root ID, though the biggest win
> happens when you do.

Then why not do it as well, if one is going to mess with changeset
generation and application??

> This isn't an incompatible change.  Older versions of tla will ignore
> these additional inventory ids.  Newer versions of tla would be able to
> cope with the lack of this info.  So it's not clear to me that we need
> to wait until the next archive format.

Mhh, right. The problems caused by an old tla committing to an archive
intended for use by a newer tla does not out-weight the inconvenience of
breaking forward compatibility.

> When we do change the archive format, I'd be inclined to go with Andrew
> Suffield's proposal for changesets.
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-08/msg00184.html
>
> Making the file structure similar to the conceptual structure should
> make it easier to do things the right way, and harder to do things the
> wrong way.

That is another discussion entirely. Albeit an interesting one. In the
spirit of the ongoing effort to keep the mailing-list useful, let's save
it for another thread.

--
                                                            -- ddaa