Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch and autotools projects.

From: Magnus Therning
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch and autotools projects.
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 09:09:06 +0200

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:10:00PM +0200, Jan Hudec wrote:

>> > You can make it yourself. It's really trivial:
>>
>> > #!/bin/sh
>> > ./configure "$@"
>>
>> Hmmm.... the discussion here is about how to deal with not having
>> `configure' and other auto-generated files in the repository.
>
>That's easy. Just don't put them there ;-).
>
>Developer should never run configure -- developer runs ./autogen.sh.
>The user on the other hand does not check out from arch directly -- the
>user downloads a release tarball, that has the files generated.

Exactly. The important thing is to realise that you can (relatively)
safely put more pressure on developers than on users.

I'd recommend taking a look at any big opensource project that does use
the auto-tools to see how they've solved it, GNOME, KDE, Samba, etc. It
seems almost all opensource projects use the auto-tools (tla being a
notable exception :-)

/M

address@hidden
http://magnus.therning.org/