Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pruning Patch Logs

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Pruning Patch Logs
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:30:38 +0200

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 15:15:48 -0500, John Meinel wrote:
> I've seen several messages about pruning patch logs in the past, and now
> that I have some development work that has > 100 logs, I'm thinking

That's not that many. The branches where pruning was done usualy had an
order more.

> about at least learning more about pruning. I haven't found anything on
> the wiki, and only mentions of it on the mailing list...
>
> Every branch carries around all of the patch-logs of everything that it
> has been merged with. It is my understanding that this is what allows
> star-merge to be so intelligent. When combined with stuff like
> sync-tree, you can get star-merge to do almost exactly the right thing
> with little effort.

You can only prune logs for branches/version that are no longer used,
thus no new changes will be commited there that you may want to merge.
Old versions, old archives after rotation and such.

> So what I'm hoping to get is some sort of best practices for what should
> be pruned versus what is kept. I'm worried that I'll lose a lot of what
> I like about star-merge if I remove patch-logs.
>
> My gut feeling is that unless it is really important, I shouldn't prune
> any patch logs, and just live with the list getting longer and longer.

Right.
Except one day it will become important, as the logs will get huge. With
hundreds of patchlogs you are not just there yet.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>