Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to avoid conflict when backporting/cherypicking

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] How to avoid conflict when backporting/cherypicking
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:35:54 -0400

Milan Cvetkovic wrote:
    tla replay --skip-present proj--bugfix--1.0
    tla tree-sync proj--bugfix--1.0--patch-3

Using tree-sync tells arch that you consider that patch (and all
patches it includes) to have been properly merged into your tree.

Thanks, I think this should do it, will try next time.

tree-sync is one of those commands which is not yet clear to me...

Sync tree copies all patchlogs in the revision to the working tree. If you specify a version, the latest revision in the archive is used.

The effect is as though you star-merged the revision, but didn't change the non-log files.

Well, this is if you know about the bug before you fix it, which is in the ideal world.

Eh?  You you're fixing bugs by accident?

The reality is that we have to do backports, and I suspect that this is not so uncommon.

When we're aware that this bug also afflicts the release branch, we'll make a changeset, apply that changeset to the release branch, and commit it there first. But obviously, that's not always possible.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology