Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tagging is slow

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tagging is slow
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 23:52:57 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > I've noticed that as I accumulate more revisions, creating a tag -- an
    > operation that's supposed to be "cheap" in arch -- gets slower, and
    > slower, and slower...  [often like 20-30 minutes!]

You are (at least as I recall from past messages) in the rather
pathological case of wanting to semi-permanently use a large archive
for a large tree but almost always use that archive remotely over a
relatively slow link.  So, yeah, that edge case is nasty for you.

    > As far as I can figure (it's hard to tell as there's no indicator of
    > what it's actually doing), it's doing `something' for every
    > patch-log

Right.   I'm guessing you're being dominated by O(N) round-trips
when patching against patch-N.  Various archive-side caching/memoizing
hacks can bring that way down.  (It's also worth double checking, of
course, that it really is what I think it is....)