Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [bug] import revisions should have a distinctive he

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [bug] import revisions should have a distinctive header in their patchlogs
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 13:34:31 +0100

On Sat, May 29, 2004 at 08:21:23AM -0400, Aaron Bentley wrote:
> >Why wouldn't somebody just avoid this mess and just start a new branch?
>
> It comes down to wanting to fix mistakes.  I got myself very confused
> with aba initially, because I wanted to use a particular branch name.
> So I kept trying to change history, doing it wrong, and getting bizarre
> changesets (since it was comparing against a previous timeline).
>
> The two cases I can see:
> 1. Screwed up initial import (maybe they omitted stuff or put stuff in
> that didn't belong)
> 2. Change of tagging method (Import revisions should be smaller than the
> changeset that represents every file being deleted and re-added)
>
> People are often very particular about the names they use.  Tom wants
> the namespace to be accomodating to users.

From a slightly different perspective:

[Vertical lines are branches, + is a changeset]

    ___ (import)

     +  (commit)
     |\
     | \
     |  \
     +   \
     |    \
     |     \
     |      \
     +      + (tag)
     |\     |
     | \___ |
     |     \|
     +      +

     + (commit)
     |\
     | \
     |  \
     +   \
     |\   \
     | \   \
     |  \   \
     +   |  + (tag)
     |   |  |
     |    \ |
     |     \|
     +      +

     +     ___ (import)
     |      |
     |      |
     |      |
     +      +
     |      |

It's all a matter of what you want the history graph to look like. "No
history" (import) is not generally useful, but there's no reason why
it shouldn't be possible.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |