Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Patch Logs vs. character sets

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Patch Logs vs. character sets
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 17:56:36 -0400

Tom Lord wrote:
Aaron mentioned his belief that patch logs will eventually be UTF-8.

I don't think so -- I think that would be a mistake.

It'd be nice to hear more about why you think that would be a mistake. I'd rather have One True Encoding for patchlogs so I don't need to support Windows-1252 to see my win32 colleague's curly quotes.

Your later comments suggest that tla should support Unicode transcoding directly, so why not transcode the patchlog to utf-8 as part of the cooking process at commit time?

Aaron