Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla configurations and recursive commands.

From: Matthieu MOY
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tla configurations and recursive commands.
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 12:55:09 +0200

[ @#$)$% webmail. pressing TAB SPACE while composing the message sends it, and I
did before I've finished :-( ]

Quoting Matthieu MOY <address@hidden>:

> Hi,
>
> I'm spliting my project into several subprojects, using tla configurations
> to manage the whole tree.
>
> I know I can call most commands recursively with
>
> tla cat-config CFGNAME | awk '{print $1}' | xargs ...
>
> But then, I have to know wich configuration I'm currently using. This is
> rather
> easy when done manually, but I'd like to make something more automatic (in
> particular, in xtla.el).
>
> So, I'd like "tla build-config" to keep track of the current configuration,
> and
> "tla cat-config" to be able to run without argument, taking the current
> configuration.
>
> I mean, integrate in tla the behavior of a wrapper
>
> === tla build-config ===
>
> echo $cfgname > $(tla tree-root)/{arch}/++current-configuration
> tla build-config $cfgname
>

> === tla cat-config ===
>
> if [ some-argument-is-given ]
> then
    tla cat-config $argument
else
    tla cat-config $(cat $(tla tree-root)/{arch}/++current-configuration))
fi

There could also be an option to "tla cat-config" to generate a config file
based on the current tree. Something based on "find . -name '{arch}'" and "tla
tree-version".

Last item in my wishlist for configurations : Most tla commands could have an
option "--recursive" that would call tla recursively when encountering an
subproject tree root.

Typically, I'd like to be able to type

tla changes --recursive

To see *all* the changes in my local tree. This could work even without tla
configurations : "tla inventory" is already able to identify nested trees in
this way.

That would be better for the user, and that would considerably ease the task for
writters of front-ends ...

--
Matthieu

envoyé via Webmail/IMAG !