Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why do "tla get-changeset" and "tla changes" have a

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Why do "tla get-changeset" and "tla changes" have a different format?
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 17:29:39 -0400

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 11:14:20PM +0200, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> I just wondered why the commands "tla get-changeset" and "tla changes"
> had a diffent output format :

I think this is largely historical: _many_ commands in tla used to have the
same verbose output format that show-changeset uses, but have since been
changed due to user demand (outcry?).  I think not so many people use
show-changeset, so it's lagged.

> * There is  a duplication of  code inside tla.  Two ways to  display a
>   changeset.

Sure, but (1) it's not difficult code, and (2) it's already written. :-)

> * This forces front-ends to duplicate parsing code also.

Yeah, this (and user sanity) is why I'd also like to make show-changeset use
the same format as `changes' by default.

In general I'd like to make _all_ changeset-showing command in tla a bit more
consistent (except where obviously something different is needed), and
generally have them all:

  (1) Output the same concise and easy-to-parse format as `changes' by default

  (2) Support a `--report' option to use the verbose output format, but
      _without_ including diff output.

  (3) Support the `--diffs' (actually I'd like to change this to --diff)
      option to include diff output.

-Miles
--
My spirit felt washed.  With blood.  [Eli Shin, on "The Passion of the Christ"]