[Gnu-arch-users] Re: category version limited to digits and dots

From: Greek0
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: category version limited to digits and dots
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 22:26:20 +0200

On Fri, 14 May 2004 12:24:48 -0400
Milan Cvetkovic <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Why is there a limitation in arch that the project version must only
> contain digits and dots?

I don't know, that's just the way it is. It's a little annoyance, but in
reality it just does not matter. There are lots of ways around it.

> I wanted to organize my archive this way:
>
> project
>     project--v1
>        project--v1--devo
>            .. when 1 development is finished, seal it
>            .. and open project--ver-2--devo
>        project--v1--rel1.0
>            .. starts as tag from project--ver-1.0--devo
>            .. includes some patches from it before
>            .. 1.1 is released
>        project--v1--rel1.1
>            .. ...

It's not a real problem. Just call your branches that way:
project--v1-devo--0
project--v1-release--1.0
project--v1-release--1.1

Think about it. The exact names of your branches just don't matter. You
don't even have to put your version into the version field of the branch
name. Eg:
project--v1-devo--0
project--v1-release-1.0--0
project--v1-release-1.0--0

Doesn't look pretty, but you can do it, and tla doesn't care.

Cheers,
Greek0