[Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla programmable completion in Emacs shell

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla programmable completion in Emacs shell
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 03:55:15 +0800

Matthieu Moy <address@hidden> writes:

>> http://wiki.gnuarch.org/moin.cgi/Additional_20Tools
> There's something I don't understand : There are now two files with
> the same name and the same purpose. Is one a branch of the other? If
> not, one should be renamed to avoid confusing of the users ...

ARGH! And I _did_ Google before starting... <mock grumble> No, I wrote
the thing from scratch. Searching for "pcomplete arch", I found Jeremy
Shaw's post to this mailing list at
http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-01/msg00833.html
and the IRC log at
http://www.thecodemill.biz/services/arch/irc/2004-02-12 but no
announcement of completion. I should've checked the wiki. It slipped
my mind; I thought a Google search would be enough.

Jeremy Shaw's pcmpl-tla is much better at handling options (he parses
the output of -h). I try to complete for --dir and other options as
well. His handling of incremental completion is much better than mine,
though. My code handles -- files... and attempts to complete for all
commands.

I guess his version should be canonical. (Probably needs to be tweaked
a bit to follow Emacs Lisp style guidelines, but that's just me being
finicky.) In that case, I'll just... try to patch it to recognize
other options with arguments... <mumble>

Darn open source! Every time I get a cool idea, it turns out that not
only has someone else done it, but they've done it better. <laugh>

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun