Re: [Gnu-arch-users] duplicate terms for the same things

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] duplicate terms for the same things
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 16:48:48 -0400

On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 10:40:33PM +0200, William Dode wrote:
> > I'll add that aliases can be made invisible, which is sometimes the right
> > thing when renaming a command, to preserve compatiblity but not unduly
> > confuse people.
>
> I think we must specialy take care of this in the documentation...
> What about a deprecation system ? When people use the old commands it
> could output a warning message.

What I've wanted to do is just print a warning when you give help, e.g.:

   (tmp) tla delete --help
   (delete is an obsolete alias for "delete-id")
   remove an explicit inventory id
   usage: tla delete [options] file ...

     -h, --help     Display a help message and exit.
     -H             Display a verbose help message and exit.
     -V, --version  Display a release identifier string
                    and exit.

but as I recall, the way tla command layering is done, the implementation is
a bit annoying.  Probably just a bit of work though.

-Miles
--
`The suburb is an obsolete and contradictory form of human settlement'