Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [semi-OffTopic] UserLinux

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] [semi-OffTopic] UserLinux
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:33:15 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Andrew Suffield <address@hidden>

    > I think you've missed the point entirely.

I don't think so but then I also think that the whitepaper is a bit
self-contradictory as to what, exactly, the point is.

Just to be clear, though: I'm not out to _refute_ the proposal.  I'm
out to _complete_ the proposition it makes.   I don't think Bruce has
gotten major things wrong -- I think he has just left some fundamental
questions unanswered.

    > UserLinux (ironic name) is about doing all the stuff that's only
    > needed at enterprise level. It's not about "engineering".
    [...]
    > The UserLinux effort is primarily about all the *other* stuff
    > that you need to make a successful enterprise
    > product. Marketing, training, certification, support,
    > distribution infrastructure, etc.

Every item in your "*other*" list has a significant engineering
component.  Moreover, they have significant engineering components
that in successful "traditional" businesses wind up being tightly
integrated with the engineering processes that produce the base
system.  What I don't see in the whitepaper is any substantive plan
about what form those processes take in this new economic paradigm.