[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch and bookmark maintenance

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch and bookmark maintenance
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 16:12:46 +0100 (CET)

On 17 Dec 2003, Aaron Bentley wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 23:47, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 01:54:01AM +0000, Angles Puglisi wrote:
> [snip]
> > >given the nature of
> > > such html "bookmark" files, do you think arch would be effective at
> > > "merging"
> > > changes from each machine's bookmarks into the other's?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > You need a domain-specific tool. diff/patch will not work usefully here.
>
> Since these are, roughly speaking, XML files, I'm surprised.  Why would
> diff/patch not work as well as they do for C source?  Or is it that you
> expect more of XML merging tools than diff/patch can achive?

What they mean is tht there are better tools for diffing xml files, but
diff will work well.

The advantage of xmldiff tools is that they check for semantic diffs, not
syntactic ones like the general purpose diff.

In your case, as the format will be always the same, diff will work as
well as xmldiff. So, I'd go on!

Pau