[Gnu-arch-users] [configure] test for diff/diff3

From: Ollivier Robert
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] [configure] test for diff/diff3
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 10:54:09 +0100

Hello,

I'm having problems with patch-286 on MacOS X (10.3.1). The configure test
finds that my diff/diff3 have troubles handling EOL but they have been
working perfectly since the beginning with tla so I'm a bit worried about
the test.

MacOS X:

330 [10:43] address@hidden:/tmp> diff -u ,,tmp/nl_eof_a ,,tmp/nl_eof_b
2>/dev/null | grep '^\\ No newline'
331 [10:44] address@hidden:/tmp> echo $?
1

Interestingly, my FreeBSD 4.8 which is supposed to have a bad diff/diff3
fails with both the standard diff and a pristine GNU diff.

243 [10:52] address@hidden:src/=build> CFLAGS="-O -pipe" ../configure
--prefix /usr/local --with-gnu-diff gdiff --with-gnu-diff3 gdiff3

The configured versions of diff and diff3 do not handle files
not ending in newline correctly.

  configured diff = gdiff.
  configured diff3 = gdiff3.

Use config options
  --gnu-diff
  --gnu-diff3

I suspect the nonl-safe-diff script isn't doing his job properly.
--
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- address@hidden
Darwin snuadh.freenix.org Kernel Version 7.0.0: Wed Sep 24 15:48:39 PDT 2003