Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Automatic archive discovery, take 1

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Automatic archive discovery, take 1
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:49:26 -0500

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 03:21:43PM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> The disadvantage is that you then couldn't have multiple archives with
> the same prefix mapping to two totally different URLs.  But does anyone
> really do this?

Note that Tom's two 2003 archives have completely different urls in Andrew's
list!  I suspect that this may be a common event -- to use the change to a
new archive to also move to a new host.

> For people who wanted to, you could add a suffix to
> your email address to distinguish the two, like address@hidden,
> address@hidden

... which gets back right where things started, with address@hidden

My feeling is that people _will_ move their archives around over time -- but
will often want to keep their same email address (email addresses are often
much easier to maintain because they require almost no resources) -- and that
we shouldn't penalize this case.

Having some sort of meta-archive seems interesting, however it should handle
moving archives gracefully.

-Miles
--
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
  --Albert Einstein