Re: [Gnu-arch-users] User-defined "macro" commands

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] User-defined "macro" commands
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 15:30:00 -0800

On Dec 13, 2003, at 14:42, Mark Thomas wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Dustin Sallings wrote:

        I just don't see the point in command aliases, especially with the
ability to add aliases locally.  IMO, it's best to have exactly one
command that performs any given task in the tla distribution.   If you
don't like the name of that command, you can alias it locally.

I thought the command aliases were all old names that are being maintained
for a while to avoid breaking scripts.  Am I wrong?

I don't know...I've got a few unattended arch installs that run stuff out of cron jobs, etc... I think that if I upgraded arch on these systems, I'd want to test my scripts and fix whatever broke. With this feature, that would mean either adding the command as a macro, or having my script use the appropriate command.

Personally, for my completion, I filter out any aliases. I've used commands in the past that ``disappeared'' as far as I'm concerned, and it's not that big of a deal to me. I expect things to move around as stuff stabilizes. I expect there to be more changes before everyone figures out everything that tla should do.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>