Re: [Gnu-arch-users] pure-merge is impossible (was Re: Star merging with

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] pure-merge is impossible (was Re: Star merging with 3 branches)
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 07:04:14 +1100

On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 06:25, Tom Lord wrote:

> It's that particular subtracting out that you meant when you talked
> about diff munging --- and now it makes perfect sense to me.
>
> That's damned interesting.

Thats what we thought ;).

Seriously - the current pure-merge script simply collapses C2 and C3
into the C1 delta that is actually applied as it transits branches. This
loses information but:

1) It enforces a no outstanding patches before merging
2) It auto commits if there are no conflicts (which will do the wrong
thing from time to time - a precommit build test would address this, at
a price ;)

Using this partial implementation, if the same patch has already been
applied, then we know that C2' and C3' have been locally created already
- and thus are safe to skip IFF there are no unrelated changes. The full
implementation that autocreates C2 and C3 is where we start adding the
robustness.

Rob