Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: David Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 09:21:59 -0700

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 03:08:20PM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> disavantages of taglines with strict commit enabled:
>
> 5) having to check over time that there is no clash in the local tree
>    (according to your email arch is already checking for this, that
>    means wasting some minor cpu time)

Arch already has to check all of the tags to determine what has been
edited or moved.  The clash check is just part of that task.

> 6) waste cpu time as well to regexp all the 500M of 2.6 kernel data
>    searching for those tags

Yes, once, when you import.  The inode-sigs code will keep tla from
looking at any files again unless they've been changed.

We can't avoid the stat of every file, without the painful requirement
to tell arch every time we want to edit a file.

> 7) having to check over time that there is no clash with parallel trees
>    not yet synced that arch can't know about
>
> 0) None, I've to use strict commits so I can't avoid `tla
> add/delete/move-tag`.

These aren't related.  As far as I know, I always do strict commits, at
least in so far as I want my commits to always be clean.  I use tagline
because it allows me to do this, and not need to 'tla add/delete/move'
anything.

> 2) you have to convince strict commits aren't the way to go but I'm very
>    convinced they _are_ the safer and best way to do revision control.
>    Adding and moving files is sooo infrequent, that it's perfectly
>    acceptable to run `tla move-tag`, strict commits are a feature
>    not a disavantages.

Again, please explain what your mean by 'strict commits' and how that
has anything to do with 'tla add'.  Are you saying that you wish to have
to do 'tla edit' or something like Perforce or BK (I think) requires
before you can edit any file?

Dave