Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository

From: Doran Moppert
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: ANN: Linux Kernel Arch Repository
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:38:34 +1000

On Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 03:34:31PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     John> Well, it's true that, for instance, certain Linux and
>     John> FreeBSD drivers have a common ancestor.  However, I suspect
>     John> that the different OSs are different enough that once they
>     John> get ported to another OS, they tend to be rather different.
>
> It's not just a common ancestor.  They're often maintained by the same
> person, with help from a couple of others who maintain the OS-specific
> parts of the interface.  Remember, when you're talking driver, you're
 [snip]

Then they're published by the maintainer in his own archive, probably as
seperate branches:

   address@hidden/frobdriver--linux
   address@hidden/frobdriver--freebsd

these branches would be tagged into the kernel distributor's archive and
combined with the rest of the kernel source using a meta-project.

d.