[Gnu-arch-users] Re: DARCS

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: DARCS
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:45:48 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
    > > Using the .arch-ids approach, mkpatch and dopatch know nothing special
    > > about *.id files -- they regard them as just ordinary files -- it is
    > > only the inventory subsystem that gives them special interpretation.
    > > With manifests, those tools would have to treat the manifest specially
    > > (consider inexact patching).

    > That doesn't seem all that hard though...

Have fun.

(No, it's far from impossible.  and yes, when there's 101 possible
"not all that hard" things that could be added to a conceptually
simple but practically quite detailed piece of code, my instinct is to
say that none of those 101 possible hacks has any presumption of
innocence.

And really, it isn't all that "not all that hard" but I wouldn't go so
far as to say it's "hard".   You'll wind up simulating the side
effects on all paths within the tree of various operations.   Very
little (not 0, but very little) is currently having to do that and
what there is is slightly hairy.)