gnoppix-user

Re: [Gnoppix-user] Re: lost in beginner land (david howe)

From: Peter Baumgartner
Subject: Re: [Gnoppix-user] Re: lost in beginner land (david howe)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:52:49 +0100

Am Donnerstag, 11. März 2004 04:48 schrieb Mike Muffels:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm another newbie lost in beginner land.
> 1) I think documenting initial setup problems is a great idea, I could
> sure use this info right about now.
> 2) Can anyone recommend a good book for learning Linux terminal
> commands? Or is this not really necessary with Gnome?

Have You already tried to ASK MISTER GOOGLE for "debianbook"?
The first hit should give You food for at last 4 weeks ;-)

> 3) I have the live cd copied and it seems to boot fine and I get a
> working desktop. The first thing I tried was changing some configuration
> options and saving them using "saveconfig" in a terminal. It asks for a
> floppy to do so. I don't have a floppy on my ThinkPad. I want to save it
> to my hard disk. Is this a problem of mounting? Do I have to do a manual
> mount? If so, how would I go about that?

Become root (root shell) and make a folder or partition "rw", so You may write
on it, or look for a function "make a permanent home folder" or similar IIRC
(at least with "K"noppix it works like that - I haven´t used "G"noppix for
weeks, sorry).

Peter