gnoppix-user

[Gnoppix-user] 0.6.0 on smp machine

From: Peter Baumgartner
Subject: [Gnoppix-user] 0.6.0 on smp machine
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 21:15:19 +0100

Hi @all,
i´m new on this list, so please allow me to introduce myself:
Peter Baumgartner, owner and webmaster of bssmusic, a small PA rental company
in Germany.
I started with Linux about 6 jears ago, beginning with RedHat, then SuSE since
6.3. Not very amused about the politics around SuSE, I started to play with
Debian and his derivatives early this year. I like some aspects of "K"noppix,
but I would not use it for Servers. I tend to use "G"noppix instead, partly
of security - ehem ;-)  - or stability reasons (Woody) and also the very good
and easy Installation.
I Have successfully installed and tested the 0.6.0-beta1 on several machines.
But with the beta3, I´m running into several Problems.
- Because of the 2,88MB ramdisk it does not start on "older" hardware, so I
cannot installit on most of my servers.
- There seems to be a Problem with SMP:
On a NCR S20 (Intel serverboard, 2 x 550 MHz Kathmai, ATI 2MB onboard, 7960
onboard, EEPro100 onboard...
the initrd resp. syslinux starts, but shows only one penguin :-(
then follow three attempts to insert aic7xxx, then aic7xxx-old. And here it
hangs completely. I tried several bootparameters like acpi=failsave, off,
force, apic, and so on, but get only "no image found"  messages.
I don´t know if i`m breaking through open doors with this, but since I haven´t
gto mail from the list yet - except of the greeting message, so I post it
here as a "potential bug", maybe it helps ;-)

Peter