gnoppix-user

[Gnoppix-user] Boot freeze on 0.5.5-2

From: James D. Ivey
Subject: [Gnoppix-user] Boot freeze on 0.5.5-2
Date: 24 Oct 2003 18:55:26 -0700

I have a tendency to offer the newbie disclaimer, but I've been at Linux
for a while (2-3 years).  I suppose I'm no longer a Linux newbie but
still have a lot to learn.

Booting Gnoppix 0.5.5-2 appears to freeze with the following on my
screen:

--- being quote ---
<tux graphic>
gnoppix desktop

 Accessing credative CDROM at /dev/scd0...
Total memory found: 191424 kB
Creating /ramdisk (dynamic size=149056k) on shared memory...Done.
Creating directories and symlinks on ramdisk...spurious 8259A interrupt:
IRQ7.
Done.
Starting init process.
INIT: version 2.78-gnoppix booting
 Processor 0 is  AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 847MHz, 64 KB Cache
Starting advanced power management daemon: apmd.
 APM Bios found, power management functions enabled.
apmd[58]: Version: apmd 3.0.2, driver 1.16, APM BIOS 1.2
apmd[58]: apmd_call_proxy: Executing proxy: '/etc/apm/apmd_proxy'
'start'
 PCMCIA found, starting cardmgr.
cardmgr[70]: starting, version is 3.2.2
--- end quote ---

FWIW, I'm trying to boot on my laptop (Compaq Presario 1200).  I believe
I had a USB mouse plugged in at the time.

I just read in the archives that someone having a boot freeze on 0.6
should just be more patient.  How long should I let the screen freeze at
any given point before giving up hope of a complete successful boot?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Jim Ivey
--