gnoppix-user

[Gnoppix-user] Problems Installing 0.6.0-test2 to HD

From: Harold Bower
Subject: [Gnoppix-user] Problems Installing 0.6.0-test2 to HD
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 08:11:56 -0400

Tried to install the latest gnoppix to Hard Drive (several times), and
there appears to be a problem with gnome panels.  Following the menu
items to install to Hard disk, I set the configuration in Step 1, then
installed with Step 2.  At that point, when I booted from the Hard
drive, the user account was not set up in /home (only /home/credativ and
/home/root existed).  As gnome was coming up, I saw the status of
"installing panels" then "acme", then the load window went away, and
only the gnome background was present with the cursor.  There were no
panels, nor menu selections from the mouse.  Ctrl-Alt-F1 thru F6 would
allow console ops.

On a second install, I configured in Step 1, then saved the
configuration in a later step before installing in Step 2.  This time,
the named user account was set up properly, but when logging in, the
same thing happened as the first .. no panel or mouse menu selections
were present, but Ctrl-Alt-F1 thru F6 worked, so I was able to poke
around.

The system was an Epia 5000 (533 MHz Ezra CPU, 128 MB RAM, 3.2 GB
UDMA-33 HD).  Partitioning was set earlier with fdisk, but the install
simply put everything in a single partition.  I did review the
configuration file, and saw where this could be changed, perhaps later.

Hal