gnomoradio-devel

[gnomoradio-devel] Creating a permanent port to OS X

From: Jim Garrison
Subject: [gnomoradio-devel] Creating a permanent port to OS X
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 02:53:27 -0500

For those of you that don't know, I got gnomoradio working under Mac OS
X using fink.

The next step of this process is to get the necessary packages into fink
unstable.  This includes libxml++, gconfmm, and gnomoradio itself.  I am
going to work on this in the very near future.

After this, I plan to use Apple's installer program to make an installer
that includes and installs the minimal fink packages required to run
Gnomoradio (plus a pretty gtk theme) in a directory that will not
conflict with fink itself.  It will also install an X server if
necessary (or if an X server is too big to fit in the package, it will
be easily downloadable from the same place as the gnomoradio package).

The only real downside to this approach is that it requires X11 still,
and therefore gnomoradio will not get its own icon on the dock.  But
once we reach this point, we can find some way to address the issue.  We
can write an entirely new GUI for nextstep/cocoa, or we can port gdk to
Aqua.  But really, these things are beyond the immediate focus of our
project.