Re: Post 0.6.31 API changes

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Post 0.6.31 API changes
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2020 17:02:54 +0100

Hi Ladis,

On Sat, Jan 4, 2020 at 2:25 PM Ladislav Michl <address@hidden> wrote:
> as 6d59b8b1a0f9 ("Move callbacks from gn_data to gn_statemachine->callbacks")
> breaks API, we sould probably indicate that in libary version.

True that. I believe that in the past I have been updating libgnokii version just before doing the release.

> Looking to the history, commit 18de817d4958 ("Prepare 0.6.31 release") even
> decreased GNOKII_LT_VERSION_AGE, so I'm unsure how is libgnokii meant to
> handle API/ABI changes.

I believe 0.6.31 did:
# - If binary compatibility has been broken (eg removed or changed interfaces)
# change to C-A+1:0:0
i.e. 7.0.1 -> (7-1+1):0:0 -> 7:0:0
WIth 0.6.32 we'd change to 8:0:0

> I'd like to resurrect GNOME Phone Manager, so something like this is needed:
> https://github.com/3x380V/phonemgr/commit/5b35631c7242
> Eventually I can just require next gnokii version once (if at all) released.

Given theĀ gap between versions, I would depend on the next gnokii version to simplify the code.

> Side question: libgnokii now depends on glib just to support locales in
> gn_sms_send - it uses g_locale_to_utf8 which makes library behavior dependent
> on current locale. Should we change to utf8 here?

That's a good question. I'm in favor of simplifying but what is the practice for using gnokii these days? If someone is still reading this mailing list and still using gnokii, can you say if you're now fully on utf8 or are the some other locales being used?

Having long break I'm now trying to restore my workflows and refresh git usage in some limited time boxes - sorry that it takes more than it should.

Cheers,