Re: smsd send time

From: alonso
Subject: Re: smsd send time
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:09:11 -0600

On 07/26/2012 01:56 PM, Daniele Forsi wrote:
> 2012/7/26 alonso acuña:
>
>> This could explain the issues I have seen with database tables being locked
>> for like 30 seconds when sending an sms but the actual sms sending takes 3
>> seconds.
> I think this is a different thing: the phone says that there is 1
> message in one of its 30 memory locations but it can't tell in which
> one (that's a limitation of the AT protocol), so smsd reads each
> location starting from 1 and waiting 0.5 seconds after each read, but
> it seems that the message is stored at location 0
>
> Christian, you need to run smsd with the --firstpos0 argument to start
> reading at location 0, but if there are 30 messages or the only
> message is stored at location 29, it will still take ~15 seconds

Agreed, I recall my issue got much better when I added the  --firstpos0
.    But still if the lock on the database is being held while checking
for messages, even if only a few have arrived that might be causing the
errors I see. Now that I think of it this now only happens at times when
I am both receiving and sending serveral messages at more o less the
same time.  There should be a database commit right after sending so the
lock on the outbox table is released, right?