Re: gnokii 0.6.29 and 0.6.32 master segfaults

From: Charles
Subject: Re: gnokii 0.6.29 and 0.6.32 master segfaults
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:21:28 +0530

On 26/04/12 18:02, Daniele Forsi wrote:
> can you try to update gnokii from git?
> I just added a missing check for usb_open() failure, it should print
> some error messages starting with:
> Couldn't open PHONET device: Operation not permitted
> then quit without a segfault
>
>> > Investigate the /dev file's permissions?
> yes, look at
> http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/DKU2#Setting_permissions_for_libusb
>
> however that udev rule doesn't seem to work with my new debian install
> (kernel3.2.0-2-686-pae , udev 175-3.1)
> Did they change (again) the format?

The new version does as you intended:
address@hidden:~$ gnokii --identify
GNOKII Version 0.6.32git
LOG: debug mask is 0x1
Config read from file /home/c/.config/gnokii/config.
phone instance config:
model = series40
port = 1
connection = dku2libusb
initlength = default
serial_baudrate = 19200
serial_write_usleep = -1
handshake = software
require_dcd = 0
smsc_timeout = 10
rfcomm_channel = 0
sm_retry = 0
Connecting
overrun: 1010 0
device: opening device USB
Ignoring extra header, type 171, length 5
Found FBUS interface
Couldn't open PHONET device: Permission denied
Error in link initialisation: 1
Telephone interface init failed: Command failed.
Quitting.
Command failed.

FYI the previous Slackware installation did not need the gnokii udev
rule because VirtualBox was installed including a udev rule to set USB
devices writeable for group vboxusers.  The version of VirtualBox on the
new installation does not install a udev rule.

After creating /etc/udev/rules.d/45-nokiadku2.rules with the following
simplified content (the change from ACTION="add" to ACTION=="add" is
important) ...

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTRS{manufacturer}=="Nokia",
MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev"

... and reloading the rules, gnokii --identify worked :-)

Thank you for working with me on this and being so responsive.  I
learned a lot.

I will contact the SlackBuilds.org SlackBuild maintainer and suggest
adding the udev rule to the build.