Re: problem with 8bit characters

From: alonso acuña
Subject: Re: problem with 8bit characters
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 21:04:38 -0600

Hi. I have done some more tests and I'm starting to understand better the character set issues. Not sure if this is a bug but I find it is strange and since it was not documented (I think?) I spent several days figuring it out.

So basically the issue is that I have my PC with the en_US.ISO-8859-1 LANG as well as the other locale variables like LC_CTYPE etc.
echo -n "ño" | gnokii --sendsms  does not work in this scenario as the characters do not display correctly on the received message.
Then I made a file with "ño" encoded in UTF8. But cat file | gnokii --sendsms   stil does not work.
setting LANG=en_US.UTF8 stil does not work. What works is setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF8.

So my env is
LC_PAPER=es_CR.ISO-8859-1
LC_ADDRESS=es_CR.ISO-8859-1
LC_MONETARY=es_CR.ISO-8859-1
LC_SOURCED=1
LC_NUMERIC=es_CR.ISO-8859-1
LC_TELEPHONE=es_CR.ISO-8859-1
LC_MESSAGES=en_US.ISO-8859-1
LC_COLLATE=en_US.ISO-8859-1
LC_IDENTIFICATION=es_CR.ISO-8859-1
LANG=en_US.ISO-8859-1
LC_MEASUREMENT=es_CR.ISO-8859-1
LANGUAGE=en_US.ISO-8859-1:en_US:en
LC_TIME=en_US.ISO-8859-1
LC_NAME=es_CR.ISO-8859-1
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF8

the file is UTF8 encoded and cat file | gnokii --sendsms  works properly.
If I encode the file in ISO-8859-1 then I get an empty message.
If I encode the file in ISO-8859-1 and leave all the locale variables with ISO-8859-1 characters do not display properly.

So in summary the instructions for me to be able to send special characters are: put the content utf8 encoded in a file, set LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF8 and send with cat file | gnokii . Did I miss this on the documentation? I am doing something weird? Is there a bug somewhere?

Thanks.

On Sat, Apr 14, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Daniele Forsi <address@hidden> wrote:
2012/4/14 alonso acuña:

> When sending from gnokii this works only if I sent the -8 option on the
> command line.

so you have been lucky because 8bit format means "binary data" and it
isn't supposed to work with the default SMS application of a phone, in
fact those messages should be silenty discarded by the phone if there
isn't a special application on the specific port referenced in the SMS

> I don't know if this is a bug or somehow my error.

you didn't give enough details to tell where the problem is

first provide the debug output[1] of gnokii --sendsms without -8 and
use the fake driver[2] since it produces less output; the default
gnokiirc has a [fake] section so you can use this line:

echo -n "ñó" | gnokii --phone fake --sendsms 0

whatever the encoding of your terminal, the SMS should be encoded in
the same way (UCS2 in this case since ó is not part of the Default GSM
Alphabet)

[1] http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Bug_report
[2] http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Fake_driver
--