Re: gnokii --showsmsfolderstatus transferred or piped to a .txt file doe

From: shirish शिरीष
Subject: Re: gnokii --showsmsfolderstatus transferred or piped to a .txt file does not show full info. - also something wrong still.
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 02:54:13 +0530

in-line :-

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 14:32, Pawel Kot <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,

Apologies for the late reply.

> 2011/11/24 shirish शिरीष <address@hidden>:
>> Hi all,
>>  I wanted to know where my sms are stored, in memory card, internal
>> memory or sim card/s . I used the gnokii-showsmsfolderstatus to try it
>> and put the output in some text file so I could view it later. This
>> for some reason doesn't work as shown :-
>
> I think it is just fine. See below.
>
>> Ok so first thing is, it's saying that Function or error type not
>> supported by the phone or the phone driver ?
>
> This is debug log. All it means is that your phone model was not
> configured by gnokii so far. We follow the default path, which is not
> supported by your phone. So we try the alternate path and it succeeds
> -- this is where you got contact gnokii-ml message.

ok cool.

> I have added your phone model into gnokii and when you try git version
> you should see neither of these two messages. I have added your name
> to the changelog, hopefully I didn't misspell it, if you could verify
> please.

Now I don't want to mess around with the git version. I did read today
the new release 0.6.31 does that one have my changes. If yes, would
ask the debian maintainer to upload that one and then see .
As far as my name is concerned, I looked up the changelog and yes you
have done it right, although in all humility I wasn't expecting that
:)

>> Other than that whenever I give something like this :-
>>
>> $gnokii --showsmsfolderstatus > showsmsfolderstatus.txt
>>
>> I get the file showsmsfolderstatus.txt as this, is this to be expected ?
>>
>> No. Name                                         Id #Msg
>>  0 SMS Inbox                                    IN    0
>>  1 SMS Outbox, items to be sent                OUS    1
>>  2 SMS Outbox, sent items                       OU    0
>>  3 SMS Archive                                  AR    6
>>  4 SMS Drafts                                   DR    1
>>  5 SMS Templates                                TE    0
>
> Looks sane. But actual content is up to you to verify.

The point I wanted to make is, it just shows that much and shuts up. I
do not get any of the sms messages anywhere on my system. What I
wanted/want to do is to able to copy messages to and fro from the
desktop to the mobile and vice-versa.

Now as far as the exact contents are concerned, they too are wrong for
I have got more than 80 messages lying in my inbox and I do not know
from where gnokii got those message numbers. For some reason I'm not
getting the right info.

>> Lastly, Does 'sudo ifconfig usbpn0 up' have to be run each time for it
>> seems to go down after sometime ? Does anybody know anything about it
>> ? Think possibly for power-saving ?
>
> Well. I guess it is after some inactivity? It might be possible
> indeed. Probably you could automate it somehow.

Could you define inactivity ? At my end 30 secs to a minute and then its gone.

> Please note, that there is an alternate way do handle, described on
> wiki, using dku2libusb connection. Then you'd avoid all these kinds of
> problems (probably).

I did actually try dku2libsusb stuff but had run into some other
problems which I cannot remember atm hence used this one.

> take care,
> --
> Pawel Kot

looking forward to answers.