Nokia 5130c-2 writecalendar "COUNT=" excessive recurrence

From: gnokii
Subject: Nokia 5130c-2 writecalendar "COUNT=" excessive recurrence
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 15:55:33 +0530

> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 10:54:30 +0100
> From: Pawel Kot <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Nokia 5130c-2 writecalendar overwrites notes
> To: "Discussion forum for gnokii users." <address@hidden>
>
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 21:04,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> > The current git fixed the overwriting issue, thanks, but an
> note.event with
> > 3 daily recurrences starting on 27 Dec 10 was still
> recurring at the end of
> > Feb 2011 (later not checked).
>
> Yes. We do have a problem with the recurrence for series40 3rd Ed+. We
> cannot figure out so far the proper frame to set the recurrence
> properly.
>
> take care,
> --
> Pawel Kot

Thanks Pawel  :-)

Understood.  Further investigation showed the RRULE with COUNT= was the
problem.  Not surprising because the phone has no equivalent option; it only
supports end dates, not counts.  Similarly
RRULE:FREQ=DAILY;BYDAY=MO,WE,FR,SU is not supported by the phone (no
day-of-week selection for daily recurrences).

What to do?  I am contemplating writing a script (awk) to post-process the
Orage export file to change VEVENT types not supported by gnokii and the
phone into VEVENTs that are supported.  For example the VEVENTs with RRULE
lines with COUNT= could be transformed into "until <end date>" type VEVENTs
or a series of individual VEVENTs.  It would be necessary to use a period
such as one month before today to two months after today.

Would this be useful as a prototype algorithm for gnokii or as a workaround
until this functionality is developed in gnokii?

Best

Charles