Re: Gnokii, Gnocky Error on Fedora 12

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Gnokii, Gnocky Error on Fedora 12
Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 19:20:53 +0400

Hi,

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 16:25, monet nisperos
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I installed fedora 12, gnokii and gnocky on my laptop and it was
> successful.  Then I tried connecting my Nokia 3110c into my laptop using USB
> cable because this is what my project needs just USB cable.  Then I tried
> configuring gnokiirc config file according to what was needed.  I had some
> samples from the internet on how to configure gnokiirc.  Unfortunately,

Can you show the sources that made you to create the config file as you did?

> during the execution of gnocky, It produce lots of errors like:
>
> Couldn't open Phonet device: inappropriate ioctl for device
> error in link initialisation:1
> cfg_file_read - open /root/.gnokiirc: no such file or directory
> couldn't read /root/.gnokiirc config file

You get different messages when using gnocky and gnokii?

> I tried running gnokii --identify to know whether it can actually detect my
> mobile fone but it says:
>
> gnokii version 0.6.28

0.6.29 is out there with tons of fixes.

> couldn't read /home/monetteski/.gnokiirc config file
> log: debug mask is 0x1
> config read from file /etc/gnokiirc
> model = 3110c
> port = /dev/ttyUSB0
> connection = dlr3p (i wonder why is it this because i configured it as
> SERIAL)

It doesn't matter. However it is still incorrect as according to Nokia
sites you should be using DKE-2 cable. The proper configuration is
shown at http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/Cables#DKE-2

> serial device : opening device /dev/ttyUSB0
> gnokii serial_open: open: no such file or directory

That should be understandable message, isn't it?

> I can't exactly understand all the errors.

I think the above one is very straightforward.

>  I tried my best to search for
> tutorials, samples on how to solve this problems but still i didn't find
> one.  I am having difficulty working on this as this is my first time to
> work on open source.

How do you think your problems are related to the software being open source?

> I tried joining forums to ask for help and one replied
> to my problem suggesting to ask from the experts like you.  Please, help me
> with this and please do bear with me.  I have no one to ask but you and I am
> working on this project alone.

I don't know what project is that but I'm afraid it might be tough to
move forward having problems with the basics.