RE: smsd and scandinavian characters cut out problem

From: Ari A
Subject: RE: smsd and scandinavian characters cut out problem
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 13:28:34 +0200

Hello Jan,

With "cut" I mean that it cuts the end of the message after the problematic characters. For example message "Scand char test öäå" is received as "Scand char test". So the message is sent.

The message is stored correctly in the outbox table when using phpmysqladmin from web browser. The commandline mysql -tool does not show message correctly (scandinavian letters are replaced with ?)

When sending, the output to console does not show the characters correctly. they are shown same way as in command line mysql tool (? -mark with black backgroud)

I tested the sending with gnokii version 0.6.20, and that works fine. everything else is just the same: database and character encoding. I just compiled that older version and it sends the message correctly.

The test I made was:
- Saved a message "scand test öäå ÖÄÅ ¤123" to outbox with my www-application
- Started the git version of gnokii smsd. Result: received a message "scand test"
- Saved a message "scand test öäå ÖÄÅ ¤123" to outbox with my www-application
- Started gnokii-0.6.20 version smsd. Result: received a message "scand test öäå ÖÄÅ ¤123". This was just the same as message in the database.

In both cases, the text in the output log was the same: The scandinavian letters and the ¤-character were white question marks on black bacground.

Then the receiving:
- Sent a message "scand test öäå ÖÄÅ ¤123" from mobile phone
- Started the git version of gnokii smsd. Result: the log showed the received sms characters correctly, but in database the scandinavian characters were wrong.
- Sent a message "scand test öäå ÖÄÅ ¤123" from mobile phone
- Started gnokii-0.6.20 version smsd. Result: the log showed the received scandinavian sms characters as white question marks with black background. In the database inbox the scandinavian characters were correct (exactly the same message as sent from mobile)

So this is quite starnge. It seems that gnokii 0.6.20 smsd does not have these problems, the sent and received messages are sent and stored correctly. Version 0.6.28 and git version does not handle these scandinavian letters correctly.

Hope this gives some help to solve this problem.

Best Regards

Ari A

> Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 09:52:57 +0100
> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: RE: smsd and scandinavian characters cut out problem
>
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010, Ari A wrote:
>
> Hello Ari.
>
> Please help me understand this problem.
>
> > smsd has still the scandinavian letter problem (also character "¤"
> > (shift+4 in finnish keyboard) cuts the message.
> > Receiving does not cut
> > the message, but the scandinavian characters are not correct in database,
> > Ä turns into ÄThis is not so big problem at the moment, since I can
> > convert the characters to correct form in my other application.
> >

> Does it mean, that you are facing two problems:
> 1. When you send message, character "¤" cuts the message. What does mean
> "cuts"? Nothing is sent or empty message is sent? Is the message correctly
> stored in outbox? When you use xdebug, is the text "Sending SMS: ..."
> correctly displayed?
>
> 2. Characters in received messages are wrong in inbox. Are the characters
> wrong also if "Message: ..." text on console when you using xdebug?
>

> jan
>
> --

Uusi Spaces ja 25 Gt ilmaista SkyDrive tallennustilaa. Lataa Live paketti.