Re: Text vs PDU mode & the SMSC

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Text vs PDU mode & the SMSC
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 16:49:59 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 16:20, Richard Herselman <address@hidden> wrote:
> Pawel Kot wrote:
>>
>> gnokii does not support text mode.
>>

> Hmm. Not sure that I'm even on the right track, then.
>
> AT+CSCS? queries for the available/supported modes, right? (that the modem
> supports, or that the network supports?)

No. It queries currently set encoding. AT+CMGF=0 is to set PDU mode,
AT+CMGF=1 is to set TEXT mode. We even don't check it just try to set
and fail if the device does not support it. However it your case it
responded OK (but on the other hand it may be a bug)

> Because we have gnokii 0.6.14-1 working fine on another server (with a

Using gnokii 0.6.14 is like using Windows 95 or Linux 1.2

> So doesn't the "GSM" above indicate that the SMS is being sent using text
> mode?

No. It means that we're sending command parameters in ASCII (GSM) mode.

> Basically I'm trying to understand why gnokii on the working server ends up
> with +CSCS: "GSM", but gnokii on the non-working server insists on +CSCS:
> "IRA".

It should not. I'm not even sure what kind of encoding is IRA...