Re: Sending and receiving sms through same phone

From: Daniele Forsi
Subject: Re: Sending and receiving sms through same phone
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 13:58:58 +0200

2009/7/11 Aaron S.:

> I have a Motorola E398 which I have successfully used to send and
> receive sms through gnokii but not both at the same time. My
> requirement is to make the process automatic i.e. the phone should
> parse the sms message and send an appropriate response.

the *phone*?
if you meant "computer" then you may want something like playSMS
(Linux only, I think)
http://playsms.sourceforge.net/

> I was thinking
> about writing a Windows service (my client's requirements Win32) which
> uses gnokii.dll's exported functions or maybe invoke gnokii.exe with
> appropriate arguments (personally I don't want to invoke a new
> process).

invoking gnokii.exe wouldn't be reliable and possibly inefficient for
a number of reasons, eg you need to keep alive some types of
connections else the phone stops them and starting and stopping a
connection takes time and sometimes fails

> But before I do that, I just wanted to confirm if this sort
> of thing has already been implemented?

do you know smsd? It is a daemon that sends and receives SMS.

There is one smsd provided with gnokii, I don't know what it takes to
port it to Windows to take advantage of cross platform compatibility,
probably not more than writing a new application from scratch (note
that the database backends can be disabled at configure time so you
can begin with just the file module)
--
Daniele Forsi