Re: multibyte characters and writing calendars

From: Carles Pina i Estany
Subject: Re: multibyte characters and writing calendars
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:19:18 +0100

Hello,

On Mar/25/2008, Pawel Kot wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Carles Pina i Estany <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  I use gnokii in that way:
> >  gnokii --deletecalendarnote 1 end
> >  gnokii --writecalendarnote
> >  /home/carles/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/std.ics 1 end
> >
> >  The problem: std.ics is a UTF8 file, and appointments that uses some
> >  multi-byte characters in UTF8 are not correctly written to my mobile
> >  (Nokia 6234).
> >
> >  I made a patch for Gnokii, but maybe is not the correct way. Patch is
> >  attached.
>
> It seems that you don't use iconv. At least changes in your patch
> indicate that. I wonder why. I think all modern unix-type systems
> (Linux, *BSD, OpenSolaris) use iconv these days.

Yes, I don't know and I don't know why. Ok, I think that I know:
address@hidden:~$ dpkg -l  |grep -i iconv
ii  libtext-iconv-perl                1.4-3
converts between character sets in Perl
address@hidden:~$

Ok, I have iconv binary (it comes in libc6 package)

> >  Now I'm calling utf8_decode after read the ICS file and sending to
> >  gnokii. It works fine.
> >
> >  Maybe would be better to call utf8_decode just before sending the
> >  text (depending of the mobile driver?) and have UTF8 in all process.
> >
> >  Because until now nobody is guaranting that the ICS file is UTF8 I feel
> >  quite confident that converting to ASCII is not a big problem and even
> >  should be done before when writecalendarnote was implemented.
>
> So you convert UTF-8 sequence to ascii, right? What encoding does your

yes I do

> phone use? Looking at the model that should be unicode so we should

I don't know :-(

> convert to unicode, not ascii in such case.

Well, as far as I can understand: sending UTF8 to mobile is not working
(I get two characters -invalid ones- in the multi-byte characters).

Sending ASCII works fine.

> >  Ah! In my system, gnokii is not using iconv library. I think that,
> >  maybe, if gnokii would use libiconv I would not need to implement my
> >  UTF8 to ASCII "parser".
>
> Yeah. See the question above. I wonder what is the reason for that.

Maybe the problem is how we are sending the calendarnotes? I will try to
take a look on it a bit later.

Thanks, I hope that we will be able to fix it.

--
Carles Pina i Estany            GPG id: 0x8CBDAE64
        http://pinux.info       Manresa - Barcelona