Re: missing files in dist

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: missing files in dist
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 20:29:10 +0100

Hi,

On Jan 14, 2008 5:20 PM, Bastien Nocera <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that the gnokii code is more broken than that i18n-wise,
> because there's no calls to dgettext, just gettext. So gnokii, xgnokii,
> etc.'s translations work because they share the same translation
> catalog.
>
> For example, I'm pretty sure libgnokii's strings aren't translated
> properly in gnocky.

I'm not sure if gnocky uses any of them...

> But before trying to fix i18n in gnokii, I think you guys should review
> the strings to translate, and make sure only the user-visible ones are
> translated. There's a lot of techno-babble that's translated currently,
> and both translators and users will have a hard time understanding what
> it means.

There should be (almost) none translatable strings within libgnokii.
The only ones I am aware of are: config file parsing things, error
messages. In most other cases they are not needed. Oh, well. There are
more nowadays: all *2str() functions. I still think it would be better
to have common vocabulary and phrases translation in just one place.

xgnokii and gnokii (and probably some other user apps) should use the
same naming schema, same labels, same messages, same names. It's
misleading when something called in app A is called X but in app B is
called Y.