Smsd / gnokii stops working after a while

From: Mihai Tanasescu
Subject: Smsd / gnokii stops working after a while
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:36:06 +0300

Hello,

I've just started using gnokii and smsd to send alerts to my mobile phone in case a system is seen by Nagios as not functioning right but I've run into some problems.

My config looks like this:

[global]
port = /dev/cuad0
model = 6310i
initlength = default
connection = dlr3p
use_locking = no
serial_baudrate = 19200
smsc_timeout = 10

I start smsd with the following parameters:
/usr/local/sbin/smsd -c /var/spool/gnokii-smsd/ -m file -f /var/log/gnokii.log

The problem:

After a day or so of working and sending the messages that I insert into files in the /var/spool/gnokii-smsd directory no more message gets sent.
I kill smsd, restart it, still nothing happens.
I try to use gnokii --identify (also to check if the phone is still active) and nothing happens (it gets stuck in the Switching to FBUS phase). If I try gnokii --identify about 5-10 times after several attempts it gets by the Switching to FBUS and displays speed 19200 and then everything starts working. If afterwards I start smsd it again functions correctly for something close to a day.

Has anyone got any ideas on what could be causing this or what should I change to correct the problem ? ( it would be kind of hard to restart the process daily and try gnokii --identify like a madman until the phone starts communicating)