LGPL? (was: java bindings)

From: Jari Turkia
Subject: LGPL? (was: java bindings)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 11:05:51 +0300

Pawel Kot wrote:
and btw: no plans to release the gnokii library under a more "liberal"
license like lgpl?
gnokii is 11 years old it is impossible to find them all. Depending on
how many changes will appear in the development branch (ie. if it will
be a rewrite) we may change licensing there.

I'll put political issues (puristic, "must be free!") and practical issues (impossible to get permission from everybody) aside.

Pro GPL:
- being a small project with limited resources, we'd really like to have as much people (companies) to get involved and share their work - you can take libgnokii and do as you wish, you just don't get to distribute, or if you do, you need to provide source
- make sure interested parties (KDE, opensync, etc.) stay interested

Pro LGPL:
- remove GPL "taint", one can integrate libgnokii into any application and pretty much do as they wish
- may raise interest on commercial companies

My opinion: it is not time for Gnokii to go LGPL yet.

Btw. value of the Gnokii software according to http://www.ohloh.net/projects/766 is $1,371,399 :-)

Regards,
Jari Turkia