Update for the GnokiiWiki

From: Tomasz Michał Łukaszewski
Subject: Update for the GnokiiWiki
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2006 12:30:55 +0100

Hello.

About a month ago I've bought a data cable for my Nokia 6030.
I hoped it will be based on a USB/Serial converter chip, that
is supported by Linux, but I was wrong.

The cable is based on OTi-6858 USB To RS232 Bridge Controller
(made by Ours Technology, Inc.) I asked them about any information,
that could be helpful to write the driver, but I've got no answer.
So I've started analysing the communication between this chip and
driver for MS Windows, and, of course, writing the driver for Linux.

On the page <http://wiki.gnokii.org/index.php/New_DKU_cable>
I've found a short description of this cable: "pl2303 based clone DKU-5
not supported by Linux". Yes, it isn't supported by Linux (yet), but
the chip (OTi-6858) has not very much in common with pl2303, and I am
sure there is no way to use this chip with pl2303 driver. I've noticed
some attempts to do this:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/2006-01/msg00161.html
I think that the info about cables based on OTi-6858 should be
corrected, but the page is locked and I can't do that myself.
I hope that this is the right place to ask for that.

Tomasz Łukaszewski

PS. The driver is in early stage of development, it supports only
basic operation (setting speed and frame format, sending/receiving
data - no flow control, no error handling.) If you have a cable, which
is identified by "lsusb" as:
  Bus XXX Device XXX: ID 0ea0:6858 Ours Technology, Inc.
you can try this driver:
  http://home.elka.pw.edu.pl/~tlukasze/linux-2.6.18-oti6858.patch
Of course, you use it on your own risk - it is an experimental work.
I use it with my Nokia 6030 and it works fine. My .gnokiirc:

[global]
port = /dev/tts/USB0
model = 6510
connection = dku5