Re: compile-error

From: Jari Turkia
Subject: Re: compile-error
Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 14:40:27 +0200

Pawel Kot wrote:
Running fgrep -l AM_GNU_GETTEXT *  in /usr/share/aclocal reveals that
the macro can be found in gettext.m4.
So, you have gettext.m4 :)

Now I do. The required package was gettext-devel.

Most of my mistakes are FAQs anyway. Somebody should update wiki to contain compile instructions.

That should be in pkgconfig package in SuSE.

Good tip. That solved the configure-problem. Like I said earlier FC is ok, but still on SuSE there is a glitch: /bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -fvisibility=hidden -I../include -INONE -o gnvcal.lo -c gnvcal.c gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-pointer-sign -fvisibility=hidden -I../include -INONE -c gnvcal.c -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/gnvcal.o
gcc: gnvcal.c: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files
gmake[1]: *** [gnvcal.lo] Error 1

Since this thread started with Solaris compile problem, I tried my newly learned trick about running ./autogen.sh on a Solaris. Configure fails:
checking for ar... ar
./configure: AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL: not found
./configure: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL: not found
checking for a BSD compatible install... /opt/sfw/bin/ginstall -c
./configure: AC_RELOCATABLE: not found
./configure: AM_ICONV: not found
checking for libintl.h... yes
./configure: syntax error at line 1319: `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' unexpected

And I am running the configure with --disable-nls. The machine seems not to have gettext and I have no permission to install one. Why is it required if I'm running with no NLS anyway?

Regards,
Jari Turkia