Re: Can connect to serial port

From: Jari Turkia
Subject: Re: Can connect to serial port
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 15:36:35 +0300

Franclim Félix Bento wrote:
Anyone has ideia of what can be wrong with this?

I'm getting a bit worried about the serial port...is there any way to check
if it is ok?
Back in the 90s a DOS program called Check-IT existed. Among others it had the capability of checking the operation of a serial or parallel port. You could even solder (buy?) a loopback connector which basically crosses lines so that anything sent to the port will loop back to the sending machine. That way automated tester application could test various RS-232 lines (RX/TX, CTS/RTS, DTR/DSR) and various baud rates for correct operation. At the time I actually could rule some of the tested ports being broken. However, most ports ever tested were ok and problems were somewhere else.

This link might have something for you: http://ftdi-usb-sio.sourceforge.net/

Regards,
Jari Turkia