Re: Win32 port status?

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Win32 port status?
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 21:00:04 +0200

Hi Jari,

On 5/7/06, Jari Turkia <address@hidden> wrote:
I move the discussion off the ML. Not that there is anyhing secret, but
I don't think this contains anything that would interest the public.

It's still here :-)

Pawel Kot wrote:
>> In brief: A Win32 binary can be built from latest source. There are some
>> changes and bugs that would have to be stored into CVS (the getopt_long
>> declaration bug is a nasty one!) so that further releases would compile
> Would you provide a patch?
Sure, I can do that. But before I do that we need to agree on how to
handle the "GNUisms" and "windowsisms" in the source. For example: MS
compilers do not have gmtime function, but similar operation can be
simulated using two separate calls and a few temporary variables to
store the intermediate results.

gmtime is already fixed in CVS for few days. But sure, there are
probably some more GNUisms in gnokii and we should handle them
somehow. This is in fact the purpose of common/compat.c functions.

> You are very welcome. I'd like to get from you few patches as a good
> start and shortly after probably give you CVS write access. We
> definitely need more win32 support -- I wanted to take care of it
> recently but see below.
Let's take a slow start. I'll send you a couple of patches and if you
think they are working, the code is good and looks good by style and
operation, then we can discuss CVS-access. I do not want to mess up the
good thing(tm) you have going on here.

OK. That's fair and ok with me. I just didn't want to slow you down too much :-)

> That's correct. I was trying for the last few days to install VSE on
> my work laptop but failed as Windows XP SP2 seems incompatible with it
> (and SP2 is required by VSE). So I have in fact no development
> environment for win32 (just cygwin).
What is the Cygwin status currently? The package does not seem to be in
Cygwin distribution, but does it compile?

Well, it did some time ago, but I admit that I didn't try to compile
few latest versions.

>> Also a ready built binary version for each new release
>> would be needed. And as an additional bonus, I'm sure I could hack up a
>> system to run a nightly build for Win32 version too.
> Wow. That would be even better than what we have for Linux right now!
Ok. :-) Look how I pretty optimistically wrote "Win32 version too".

For Linux nightlies, I could offer a linux with gcc-4.0.2/glibc-2.3.5 or
gcc-3.4.5/glibc-2.3.4. What would be the linux distribution, GCC and
GLibC preference? And to be specific, both of those are i386 platforms.
We do run a couple of x86_64s too, so to me i386 is not an automatic
default.

Well, I think the specific distro packages would be the best option.
Personally I use Slackware and Ubuntu at the moment. I want to run
also Fedora Core 5 under vmware as well. But it would be certainly
good to have packages for more distros. Gnokii is kind of the software
that is getting old very soon.

>> So, how does that sound like?
> Sounds great! I'm waiting impatiently to get some stuff from you! :-)
The 0.6.11 Win32 binaries are ready, I could send them first. It will
take a while for me to prepare a proper patch for Visual C compiling.

That would be fine. I can put it to our ftp site. I was thinking also
about some installer for win32-gnokii.

http://www.gnokii.org/