Re: Win32 port status?

From: Phil Ashby
Subject: Re: Win32 port status?
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 16:59:51 +0100

Jari Turkia wrote:
My idea would be to achieve a working code base for freely available MS tools, namely Visual Studio Express (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/) and already obsoleted Visual C++ Toolkit 2003. To me it looks like there is no point in trying to maintain any older commercial development tool versions (VC 6 or 4.2 for example).

Agreed - what about the mingw cross-compiled (or native mingw-win32) builds? I'm pretty sure any code changes required for VSE would apply similarly to these compilers, but is it too much effort to avoid the WinXP/SP2 tie in that comes with VSE (what about people who want to build on other MS platforms?)

Also a ready built binary version for each new release would be needed. And as an additional bonus, I'm sure I could hack up a system to run a nightly build for Win32 version too.

So, how does that sound like?

You are a star Jari - I'm looking forward to fresh Win32 binaries already :)